Thursday, April 16, 2015

Extra Credit

I really enjoyed most of he short poems from goldbergs book "writing down the bones, This book along with the short stories have really helped me improve my comprehension skills and deepening my analysis of what I read. I've always thought authors either painted the picture for you or allowed you to paint your own picture. I never realized maybe they wanted the reader to paint more then one picture or two. For example in the short story speaking about the prostitute everyone had their opinion on why she did what she did and why she called the men she slept with suitors.

From goldbergs book I thing one of the poems I liked the most was "obsessions". Where she says its good to write down the things we consciously and self consciously spend out waking hours thinking about. She spoke about putting them to good use, because we are ran by our compulsions. She also explains what real freedom is and how it feels. She then says that not all obsessions are bad.

I agree with goldberg about obsessions its better to face then then allow them to lurk in the shadows of our lives waiting for opportunities. An obsession of mine lately has been avoiding any talk related to my grandmother, as soon as she used to come up in s conversation I'd quietly excuse myself and do something to get her off my mind. So for my final portfolio I faced my obsession of avoiding speaking about my grandmother by dedicating my whole portfolio to speaking about her. It has helped me in many more ways then I imaging, I'm not saddened to think about our good time or even our bad ones. I'm just very grateful for all the time I got to spend with her and cherish the things she's taught me.

I really like the structure of coopers book so I followed in his steps a bit by writing about something persona. But I chose not to beat around the bush I let it all out. It's as if the words I wasn't able to speak jumped onto the page. My story doesn't really fluctuate between time like his does I feel as if it has an even flow. I added lots of details and as much imagery as I could, though I followed in coopers footsteps I know my writing is still very amateur compared to his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment