Thursday, March 19, 2015

March 19th

This week in class we read a few poems by Dawn Martine. All of her poems were quit unique to me. The first poem I read was titles " Violent Rooms", here I noticed how she spelled the words out just as she wanted them to be said and heard. It wasn't like "tick-toc" or "BOOM", but "Gu-erl" (girl) and " Suh-ssuh-ssuck". This poem seemed to be about a woman experiencing childbirth. I could see how "Violent Rooms" could be associated with giving birth. At the age of 25 a woman is ready to settle down and start a family with someone they love, inside of the room she gives birth in there could be too many different outcomes. The mother and baby could survive the process of childbirth, or either the mother or the baby could die, or both of them could die. It's hard to ever tell exactly what complications will be faced before a woman begins having birth.


The second poem I rad by Dawn was titled " Morning Hour", I didn't understand much of it at all. I believe the structure of the poem was too much of a distraction for me, the words were scattered all about the pages. It made it very difficult to read the poem, let alone comprehend it. At the top of the first page of Dawns poems there was a quote that read " I can't do it, poetry. I don't know what it is." This made me question what the "ideal" definition of poetry was. Like art I think poetry is what we make it to be, comeing in many sizes, forms, languages. So what Dawn see's at a perfectly written poem, its perfectly fine for me not to agree that its a good poem.

In class we also read a few of CA Conrad's writing prompts. I find him to be a very interesting writer. Most of his writing prompts are absolutely ridiculous, and funny. But I see a bit were he is coming from, the craziest actions can produce the best pieces of work. As a kid I used to keep a diary, whenever I got into a confrontation of any kind with my mom my diary entry for that day would be 10x better then the days I didn't have a confrontation with her. I didn't realize this until a few years ago when I read through my old diaries. Since then I've noticed that when I'm angry in general my writing is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment