Thursday, March 26, 2015

Febuary 19th

For the week of February the 19th I read Burroways "The Writing Process". In this piece of writing she spoke about how revision is good and necessary for all writing pieces to perfect them. Personally I find myself having making way more revisions then I can count. Whether it's simply adding or exchanging words or completely changing the plot. When I make revisions I like to keep the old versions so that when i finish a piece I can look back and admire the long way I've come.

Since starting your class I surprisingly haven't made many dramatic revisions to any of my pieces of writing. I find myself pondering for quit some time before deciding on a topic if I don't find the prompts and exercises you put up interesting enough. Once I find the perfect topic I feel like the words spill across the page on their own. No doubt there are always grammar errors but other then that I'd have to say that I've only had revisions for the max of 4 of the writings I've turned into you. I don't know whether I should take this discovery as a good thing or a bad thing. 

A possible explanation for the decreasing in the number of revisions I make is that I am writing about things I'm interested in. I high school teachers always told me what they wanted my papers to be about there wasn't much of any room for me to add my own sparkle. I was so focused on telling the teachers what they wanted to hear and following their strict rubrics maybe that's why I was constantly revising. In high school I also had peer editing,  where a classmate got to write all over my papers with red ink reminding me what the teacher did and didn't want.

No comments:

Post a Comment